Little Opera Season 10
2020-2021 Program: Virtual Little Opera
In this virtual online experience students will spend each session creating one act of a three act opera. This unique approach allows students to build the show one act at a time starting with Fall Session’s Act 1, Winter Session’s Act 2 and the Spring Session’s culmination of Act 3 and a live performance. Each session will begin with students bringing their imaginations to life through storytelling classes and ensemble building. Our teaching artists will then guide the students to write lyrics, compose music, and rehearse the piece through lessons in acting, singing, and choreography.
Students will receive an Opera Box at the start of each session with activities and tools to connect us as an ensemble, all sharing the same experience from the comfort of our homes. The virtual interface allows for individual coachings and skill building such as microphone work, lighting, set and costume design, and video editing. The final performance will include both a live performance, and a pre-recorded segment that students will have as a forever keepsake of their art.
Fall Session (Act 1): September 21st – November 18th, 2020
Winter Session (Act 2): November 30th, 2020 – February 10th, 2021
Spring Session (Act 3): February 22nd – May 2nd, 2021
Online via Zoom and your imagination!
Grades K/1: Mondays & Wednesdays, 3-3:30pm
Grades 2/3: Mondays & Wednesdays, 3:45-4:45pm
Grades 4/5: Mondays & Wednesdays, 3:45-4:45pm
Grades 6-8: Wednesdays, 4:30-6pm + 2 thirty minute coaching sessions with a Little Opera Teaching Artist
During their time with us, here is what they’ll do:
Write an Original Story
• Envision and select the backstory from which our opera will take place
• Develop a storyline with complex characters and situations
• Create a cohesive musical narrative from beginning to end
Craft a Libretto
• Understand the nuances of lyric writing
• Organize the story through moments of song, movement, and musical dialogue
• Collaborate through the writing, editing, and revision processes
• Learn about rhythm, melody, and emotion in music
• Improvise sung melodies for all libretto text
• Work with professional composers to creative collaborative content
• Hone movement techniques and skills, explore different dance styles
• Envision original movement sequences to augment the opera’s narrative
• Learn from professional dancers to refine and polish movements
Design and Build Sets, Props, and Costumes
• Create original designs for all set, prop, and costume elements of the opera
• Build models for design concepts
• Collaborate with professionals to execute the construction of designs
Rehearse, Reflect, and Direct
- Work with professionals to improve, polish, and execute the final performance
- Peer direct in order to build confidence, leadership, and community
- Reflect on their work, practicing how to give and receive feedback
• Perform the finished Opera in one of San Francisco’s greatest spaces, Grace Cathedral.
• Share work-in-progress during informal performances for student’s families throughout the year
• Celebrate a year’s hard work with a final bow and a family potluck
Participate in Master Classes
Throughout the year, students take specialized classes with visiting artists. Master class topics vary by year, and have included costume design, set design, dance & choreography, stage combat, masks & puppetry, music composition, and singing technique.
Since 2011, over 100 artists have visited Little Opera classes.
Past guests include: Shane Adero, Sofia Ahmad, Michael Barret Austin, Alona Bach, Kathleen Barnes, Dorothy Bayern, Heather Basrab, Sharon Benitez, Matt Boehler, Eve Boltax, Laura Boytz, El Beh, Todd Berman, Joshua Raoul Brody, Joanna Bronk, Alex Burgess, Anna Bullard, Cindy Burg, Wendy Buzby, Miranda Caroligne, Rodrigo Castillo, Naya Chang, Danny Clay, Ariel Craft, Natasha Czajka, Mike Dahlberg, Clara Daims, Sonja Dale, Tara Donohue, Hannah Dworkin, Peter Engelbert, Friction Quartet, Allyson Feeney, Alyce Finwall, Jon Fischer, Callie Floor, Lucas Floyd, From the Top, The Furies, Alexandra Gilliam, Miles Graber, Kimberly Gelbwasser, Kevin Gino, Margaret Gordon, Nora Beth Griffin, Felipe Hernandez, Kristen Hevner-Wyatt, Ken Helman, Tracy Hughes, Cristina Ibarra, Cindy Im, Alla Irwin, Laura Inserra, G Scott Lacey, Phillip Lenberg, Danielle Levin, Rebecca Longworth, Erica MacLeod, Isabel Magdaleno, Casey McKerchie, John Mayne, Katie Meyers, Vince Montgomery, Lisa Morse, Amy Mu, Winnie Nieh, Mary Joy Patchett, Rebecca Pingree, Cathleen Riddley, Isabel Rosenstock, Zephyr Roos, Brian Rosen, Sarah Roland, Dorothy Santos, Anna Sapozhnikova, Claire Shaw, Christina Shonkweiler, Rich Sargent, Tom Segal, David Senk, Emily Shisko, Annie Smith, Matthew Graham Smith, Marissa Simmons, Lauren Spencer, Martha Stookey, Margaret Starr, Alex Stein, Ariana Strahl, Wiley Strasser, Elissa Stebbins, Roma Olvera, Adelle Trotta, Mosa Tsay, Briana Ung, Charith Wickrema, Debra Wong, Marissa Wolf, Elena Wright, DeVanté Winn, Jessica Winn, Elena Wright, Yi-Fang Wu, and Kat Zdan.