Little Opera at Grace Teaching Artist: Vocal Coach
About Little Opera at Grace: Our mission is to build a vibrant creative community — through the creation and performance of original opera — that transcends divides and transforms the lives of children, families and artists.
To do this, we’ve put together a team of master teaching artists and visiting artists from all disciplines who are continually discovering new ways to facilitate opera-making with kids. We work after school with a diverse group of San Francisco youth from September through May to write, compose, design, and perform original, short operas. With eight seasons under our belt, we’re well on our way to building a vibrant creative community. To learn more, visit littleopera.org.
As the Little Opera at Grace Vocal Coach, you’ll be an integral part of our teaching team. All Teaching Artists work closely with the rest of the Little Opera team to coordinate, plan, and deliver all Little Opera classes. This position will work primarily with our 2nd-8th grade students, with possible sessions with our Kindergarted and 1st grade students as needed. Responsibilities include:
- Work with the teaching team to create a macro curriculum outline for the season.
- Plan and outline lessons for all Little Opera classes.
- Write up and share weekly lesson plans with Little Opera team.
- Attend bi-monthly team meetings to reflect, share best practices, and plan upcoming classes.
- Teach vocal technique and help students prepare music for performance, both in group lessons and 1-on-1.
- Build strong and trusting relationships with all students.
- With support from Little Opera team, address any behavior issues with students and parents.
- Lead students through all final rehearsals and performances.
- Attend all Professional Development sessions with the Little Opera team, including a summer retreat.
- Plan and lead sections of Professional Development for other Little Opera teachers.
Our ideal applicant:
– A practicing vocal artist. MFA or equivalent training is preferred. Knowledge of opera and musical theater is preferred.
– Deep understanding of the body as a singing instrument.
– Conducting experience preferred.
– A skilled collaborator with experience working as part of a team.
– 3+ years experience as a Teaching Artist working with ages 5-15.
Classes are held at Grace Cathedral in San Francisco, 4pm-6pm on Mondays and Wednesdays. Additional performance and outreach opportunities may also be available, depending on interest.
The position is 2-5 hours/week, depending on availability and enrollment. The position pays $50-55 per hour for teaching, team meetings, and all pre-approved administrative work. Benefits: Paid sick leave, and non-matching 401K.
Teaching artists are considered part-time employees—not independent contractors—and receive paid sick time, unemployment insurance, social security contributions, worker’s compensation, and other legally required withholdings.
Please send a resume and cover letter detailing your interest and professional and artistic experience to Erin Bregman at email@example.com. The application deadline is Friday, August 30th 2019.
Little Opera is always looking for great artists to teach master classes, and collaborate with our students. If you are interested in working with us, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
VOLUNTEER AT LITTLE OPERA